“DON’T YOU DARE LET HIM GO!” — Cubs Fans in UPROAR as Team Reportedly Hesitates on Shota Imanaga’s $57M Option . “This Man SAVED Chicago Baseball!” .Qu

💣 “DON’T YOU DARE LET HIM GO!” — Cubs Fans in UPROAR as Team Reportedly Hesitates on Shota Imanaga’s $57M Option: “This Man SAVED Chicago Baseball!”

Cubs' Shota Imanaga leaves with strained hamstring against Brewers -  Sportsnet.ca

CHICAGO — The North Side is boiling. Just weeks after the Cubs’ emotional postseason run, fans are now turning their anger toward the front office — and one name is at the center of it all: Shota Imanaga.

MLB/ Shota Imanaga stars in major league debut as Cubs beat Rockies 5-0 in  Wrigley Field opener | The Asahi Shimbun: Breaking News, Japan News and  Analysis

According to multiple reports, the Chicago Cubs are “hesitant” about picking up Imanaga’s $57 million club option for 2026, sparking a firestorm among fans and insiders alike. The news dropped late Tuesday night — and within minutes, #KeepShota trended across social media platforms.Shota Imanaga looks quite comfortable once again in his second home opener  with the Chicago Cubs - Newsday

“He literally carried this team when everything else fell apart,” one fan wrote on X. “If the Cubs let him walk, they might as well hand Wrigley to the Cardinals.”

Imanaga, nicknamed “The Windy City Wonder,” became one of the biggest stories of the 2025 season. In his first year in the MLB, the Japanese ace posted a 2.86 ERA, struck out 192 batters, and delivered some of the Cubs’ most electric performances — including a legendary 10-strikeout shutout against the Brewers in July.

But behind the scenes, whispers suggest that the Cubs’ hesitation isn’t about performance — it’s about budget and risk. Sources close to the front office claim the team is wary of “committing too early,” citing long-term payroll flexibility.

“They know Shota’s worth it,” one MLB insider told The Athletic, “but they’re scared of locking in big money before addressing other holes in the roster.”

Fans, however, aren’t buying it.
Crowds outside Wrigley were seen holding signs reading “Pay Shota, Save Chicago” and “$57M for a Legend, Not a Question.”

Even some of Imanaga’s teammates reportedly voiced frustration. One player, speaking off the record, said:

“You can’t preach about building a dynasty and then flinch on the guy who gave us the heart to believe again.”

Meanwhile, Imanaga himself has stayed quiet — spotted leaving Wrigley earlier this week with his family, smiling politely as reporters shouted questions. But those close to him say he’s aware of the uncertainty.

“He loves Chicago,” said a friend from Japan. “He said it feels like home. But he also knows baseball is business.”

Still, for many Cubs fans, it’s more than business — it’s personal.

“This man saved Chicago baseball,” a longtime season-ticket holder told Marquee Sports. “We were dead in April, and he made us believe again. You don’t let that go — you build around it.”

With the deadline to exercise the option looming, all eyes are now on the Cubs’ front office. Will they protect their new ace — or repeat history by letting another star slip away?

For now, one thing’s certain:
If the Cubs let Shota Imanaga walk, the city of Chicago might never forgive them.